Friday, March 27, 2009

make your own granola

I love granola. What I don't like is how expensive it is. The boxes of granola cereal are usually the most costly cereals at the store. A few years ago when I got this granola recipe and loved it, it was the end of store-bought granola for my family. Not only does it taste delicious, but it is very inexpensive. And in this economy, who isn't looking to save some money? I make this granola fairly regularly for my family and we all love it. Most of us just like to eat it plain as a snack, but it is also delicious as cereal with milk poured over it. It makes a really large batch, so if you don't think your family can eat it all in a few weeks, then you might want to half the recipe. Try this granola out for yourself and see if you don't want to say goodbye to the store-bought stuff too!

Granola
7 cups old fashioned oats
1 cup wheat germ
1 cup flour
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 cup oil
1 cup honey
1/4 cup water
2 T. vanilla
1/2 T. salt
1/8 cup cinnamon

Mix all of the ingredients together and spread out on a greased cookie sheet. Bake at 325 degrees for 20 minutes. Stir and bake another 15 minutes. Scrape the bottom of cookie sheet as soon as it is done to prevent sticking. Cool and then store in an airtight container.

share this on »
{Facebook} {Twitter} {Pinterest}
19 Comments

19 Responses to “make your own granola”

Abbie said...

I LOVE homemade granola - the taste, the cost, the baking smell - and use a recipe very similar to this! Thanks for sharing it!

Gloria P. said...

what type of oil do you use? Vegtable or something else?

Anonymous said...

I Love your blog! I am giving you the Kreativ Blogger award! It is over on my blog :) Y'all do a great job with your blog!

Little Birdie Secrets said...

I personally use canola oil, but vegetable oil would work just as well.

Anonymous said...

Yummy, I'll have to try it!
Thanks, and happy UPB. Stop by if you can :D

Anonymous said...

I use to make this when my kids were growing up.. they loved it.. I've been told you can bake it in the slow cooker with the lid propped open.. been wanting to give that a try.

Billie's Scrappetique said...

Thanks for sharing. I was thinking the other day that I haven't bought granola bars in a long time. Now I don't have to! :o)

Sarah said...

How did you know I was looking for a granola recipe? Thank you!

emerzim said...

I love making granola! The store bought ones are just don't taste as good. Here's the recipe I use:

http://emilyinthedesert.blogspot.com/2009/01/granola-goodness.html

Pearl Girl said...

I love homemade granola, especially with cinnamon. BUT, I just became allergic to it. DOes anyone know of a really yummy substitute??????

StacieinAtlanta said...

Hey-

This sounds amazing!

I am just stopping in from The Ultimate Blog Party to say hello. Come by my place to enter to win a LeapFrog Tag Reading System and some books by pledging to read to your child everyday. You can also enter to win a pair of Girl's Crocs - Size 8/9. :)

Stacie
The Divine Miss Mommy
http://www.thedivinemissmommy.com
http://www.twitter.com/stacieinatlanta

Tote, Debby, Sammy and Caleb Jimenez said...

that looks so good! i can't wait to try it. only thing is, can you tell me what wheat germ is and where/how it's sold? i don't think i've ever seen it before. sorry for being ignorant! =O

Unknown said...

mmm, thank you for sharing! cant wait to try it out :)

Little Birdie Secrets said...

Wheat germ is sold in any grocery store and the kind I buy comes in a glass jar. I found it by the oatmeal, but I know in some stores it is in the health food section by all the different types of grains/flours.

Unknown said...

I love granola, but have not found a recipe I like. I can't wait to try the one you posted. Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

Sounds amazing!

If you don't like cinnamon, you can try nutmeg and/or cloves.

Heather at That Little Boutique said...

I have to say my boys could live on granola and yogurt. We just made this recipe and it came out great!!! It was also an easy recipe for the children to help with! THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!

Allie said...

I love this recipe! This was my first time making granola and your recipe made it a very happy experience for me. It only took about 5 minutes to measure and mix, then after it was done baking and cooling, the taste was wonderful! Thank you!

Melissa said...

What a good way to rotate your supply of wheat germ and oats! Can't wait to try it.

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs