Wednesday, March 4, 2009

wild west gear - dress ups for little cowboys

Stick-em up! We do a lot of cute crafts for little girls, even though we only have two girls between the three of us. We're always looking for fun stuff for the little guys in our lives, so we couldn't pass up this fun wild west dress up gear!


The perfect disguise. Check out this cool felt mustache!



Using the mustache template from Family Fun, we cut two identical mustaches out of felt. Then we cut a piece of elastic to fit around a child's head (we used one of them for a measuring tool).

We sewed the elastic down to one piece of felt. Then we sewed the two pieces together. We used a sewing machine, but it was a little difficult with the curves. You could try hand stitching it if you're shy on the machine.

The loot. Make a money bag for the big heist!

We loved this easy tutorial for a money bag prop from CraftApple. Fill with rice like she did, or with wadded up newspaper or chocolate coins. Now all you need is a cowboy hat or vest. Let the wild west fun begin!

share this on »
{Facebook} {Twitter} {Pinterest}
22 Comments

22 Responses to “wild west gear - dress ups for little cowboys”

Ink Obsession Designs said...

The cowboy gear is TOO cute!

Anonymous said...

Wow, that mustache is too funny!

Anonymous said...

Our son would have loved this when he was little. He loved to play dress-up.

Alisha said...

TOO CUTE! I only have girls though. lol

Sam said...

OMG! That is so cute! I wonder if my princess little girl would like it!

denise @ little ant design said...

Too cute - I had to post your idea on my blog littleantdesign.blogspot.com hope you don't mind. I think these would make a perfect party favor.

Anonymous said...

This is the first $bag I've seen from the tutorial except my own! Yay! It looks great! :o)

Vintage Romance Style said...

I'd love to make this for my 2 year old! He loves cowboys because of Max & Ruby the cartoon.

Unknown said...

how funny, my son is going to LOVE this!

Amy said...

too cute! I am collecting boy ideas for my son when he gets older... not so sure a 2 month old would be too happy with a mustache! Plus it is always a good idea to collect ideas for gift giving!

Rachel@oneprettything.com said...

ARGH! That is SO. CUTE. Love this and cannot wait to link to it! I also would have loved this when I was a little girl!

Stephanie said...

I love it! Great for Rodeo days in Tucson, AZ

Jen@FIRR-Kids! said...

This is so fricking cute. I love your site - added you to my bookmarks.

Princess of Everything (and then some) said...

That is just hysterical!!! You are the bomb!

Geek+Nerd said...

This is amazing. I love seeing boy-friendly gifts to craft up, especially since I have a gaggle of nephews. Thanks so much!

Le Bec said...

That's adorable!

Marie {Make and Takes} said...

What fun! So cute.

testing 1 said...

Lovin' the 'staches...so Tom Selleck a la Magnum P.I.! I'm so going to have to share this!

Anonymous said...

Love it! I'm the editor of that section in FamilyFun magazine, and I love what you did with the project. The bag of loot is fabulous! Thanks so much for sharing it!

Kirsten said...

I'm definitely making this for my daughter - she'd love it!

Stien said...

I made this too! As a gift for a nephew's fifth birtday!

You can see it here: http://meisjesmama.blogspot.com/2009/09/pief-poef-paf-en-uw-broek-zakt-af.html

It's in Dutch but I have a translate-button ;-)

Thanks for the great inspiration!

CraftyMummy said...

Hi! Just wanted to let you know that I featured your craft on my blog recently: http://thecraftymummy.com/2011/11/crafts-for-movember/

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs