Thursday, August 18, 2011

magnetic bookmark for back-to-school or teacher appreciation {tutorial}

This morning my little cuties started school--don't they look handsome? Kindergarten here is full day, and I have to admit I'm a little anxious for my little one to be away from me all day long. He's my shy-guy; he likes to hold my hand or follow big brother into uncertain situations. He hugged me and kissed the baby (in my belly) about ten times, but then he was fine! He found his seat and sat quietly while I walked away. I made it all the way home before I lost it (a whole 2 houses down the street). Then I remembered I have a whole six and a half hours to myself! Now what to do first?

Anyway, during our last week of summer I managed to squeeze in one more back-to-school project for us to do together. But these aren't just for school kids--they're perfect bookmarks for grown ups, too (like teachers!)! I love that they're magnetic and stay put in my book. My good friend Kalli of Sister Secrets showed me this project when I visited her in Minnesota recently. (More on our crafty weekend later!) Thanks for the great idea, Kalli!
 
I took my kids to the library the other day and the boys got their own library cards and picked out about 20 books each (that I got to carry out). I even picked out a book from the Young Adult section that I've had on my list for a couple of years. We couldn't wait to get home and start reading so we could use our new bookmarks!

Magnetic Bookmark Tutorial
 Supplies:
*Magnetic bookmarks (Kalli found a pack of 4 for $1.00 at Joann in the dollar section!)
OR make your own by cutting pieces from magnetic sheets (found at the craft store by the magents/wood items)
*Patterned paper
*Spray adhesive or other strong paper glue (I like Tobow's Mono Liquid Glue)
*Embellishment for top (buttons, paper flowers, crocheted flowers, covered brads, etc.)
*Glue dots or hot glue gun for embellishments
*Mod Podge and foam brush (optional)

1. Start by opening one of your magnetic bookmarks. Take a file or sanding block and roughen up the slick surface a little.

 2. Trace the open bookmark on the back of your patterned paper. Cut it out.

3. Apply glue evenly to top of magnetic bookmark. Place the paper on top and fold the bookmark in half. Smooth out any wrinkles or bubbles. 


4. Decide on your embellishment. I punched three flowers out and added a button in the center. I pushed the petals up for a little dimension. 

Attach your embellishment with a glue dot or some hot glue. If you really want to protect your bookmark, you could also cover the outside with a thin layer of Mod Podge.
 That's it!

To use your bookmark, open it and close it over the page you want to save, making sure your embellishment doesn't get closed in the book.

Here's another one I made with a large fabric-covered brad--I just removed the brad's tongs first. 

Here are the two my boys made. Didn't they do a great job? We used the buttons from Buttons and Badges on Etsy (watch out--they're having a sale right now! I had to order more while I was there grabbing the link!).
These would make a great gift, attached to the top of a handmade card or in a book you're gifting to a child's teacher or a friend. Thanks to Kalli for a great project idea!

share this on »
{Facebook} {Twitter} {Pinterest}
8 Comments

8 Responses to “magnetic bookmark for back-to-school or teacher appreciation {tutorial}”

No Place Like Home said...

love the magnetic bookmarks. i will have to give my hand at these sometimes. thx for sharing!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for this tutorial, fellow library lover! Our three still have a week before school starts here, and this gives me plenty of time to make some of these for their teachers. Can't thank you enough for the inspiration!! And their teachers thank you as well - no apples this year! ;)

xoxo michele

Buttons and Badges said...

What a great idea! I think I may have to try making those for my kids - and me. Thanks for sharing my link as well! Goose Girl is a favorite book at our house!

Jennifer said...

I love the Goose Girl. Great book! And I went to that elementary school when I was growing up. You are sure making me miss Iowa!

Little Birdie Secrets said...

Wow, Jennifer, that's crazy! We feel really lucky to be at Lincoln--it's a great school, rated one of the top schools in the state!

Sewandthecity said...

Thanks for the tutorial! Now I just need to go and find some magnetic bookmarks :-)

Jennifer said...

It was a great school when I was there forever ago. :) I hope your boys have a wonderful year.

Julie said...

You will love Goose Girl. Shannon Hale is such a good author. The bookmarks are adorable!

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs